Saturday, September 15, 2007

Again, not much flying. I manned the union desk again in August - it was a busy month because our new contract became effective August 1st. I spent some time answering peoples questions and solving problems.

I did get to fly twice - once it was a short flight from our maintenance base in Michigan to Newark but the other trip was pretty cool. Apparently American Airlines had an engine problem in Bueno Aires. The airline needed to get a new engine down there, so they called my airline.

So, at the last minute I got put on a Learjet and flown to New York. The next morning I woke up and went out to the plane and there it was - a 767 engine. Pretty big but not the biggest (that is probably the engine that goes on the B777). We loaded everything up and launched into the afternoon skies for our 12 hour flight to Argentina.

I had never been to Argentina so I was really looking forward to it. I had flown down to South America before but to Brazil, not Argentina. The flight was uneventful and with the exception of some thunderstorms as we crossed into South America, it was smooth. We landed in the chilly morning air - it's winter down there! It was 42 degrees and me with no coat!

The time there was quick - after resting I only got to wander the streets for a few hour. Still - interesting. You can tell the economy isn't doing so well - trash on the streets and a run-down feeling to the place. The First Officer and I had a nice dinner comprising of great Argentinean beep with some potatoes and bread. We didn't get to see much of the city as we had no guide book and only a few hours.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home